We seek to educate and mobilize Catholics in the United States to defend the lives and dignity of people living in poverty throughout the world, and urge our nation to act in response to the many faces of poverty.
Advocate with us to confront the root causes of poverty worldwide—hunger, disease, conflict, and injustice—which disproportionately affect the lives of our impoverished brothers and sisters around the globe.
Our specific priorities for 2013 include:
1. Protecting funding for poverty-focused international assistance, including food aid.
2. Passing a reauthorized Farm Bill that addresses global hunger in an effective and efficient way.
3. Supporting peace in regions that have experienced long-standing conflict such as Sudan and Southern Sudan; and pursuing peace in the Holy Land (Israel/Palestine).
4. Ensuring that provisions related to greater transparency of “conflict minerals” extraction in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are implemented through the Securities & Exchange Commission.
Catholics Confront Global Poverty is an initiative of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) and Catholic Relief Services (CRS). We encourage Catholics in the U.S. to advocate with us so that together we can help bring about policies and practices that benefit our brothers and sisters worldwide.
To learn more about our goals:
• Read a summary of what the campaign hopes to accomplish.
• View a PowerPoint overview of the Catholics Confront Global Poverty initiative.
• Sign up to join Catholics Confront Global Poverty and receive action alerts.